I absolutely adored our short trip to New Orleans last week. While traveling, I gave myself the privilege of being less strict on my diet and just enjoy my trip. Doing this did not come without consequences. I typically weigh in on Fridays but since we were traveling that day, I weighed in on Saturday and rather than losing any weight for the week, I ended up gaining .6 lbs. This is due to the lax on tracking my diet, and the numerous sweets and alcoholic drinks I allowed myself.
I’m not even mad about it! It’s not everyday that I have family visit, or that I travel to New Orleans, so I’m going to enjoy a could margaritas and beignets. Now the hard part is returning home and jumping back on the wagon. The first few days were a challenge. My appetite was higher than usual but I did my best to curb it through snacking on fruits and vegetables. On the bright side, my daily weigh ins reminded me I was making right choices and I could count on a loss for my official weigh in, and I met my goal of losing 4% of my weight in January for the dietbet I was participating in!
To be successful in losing weight I have found I follow a few staples in my diet that keep me satisfied because they are filling and tasty.
- Eggs– I eat eggs every. single. day. No I don’t have high cholesterol. No I never get sick of them. They can be made so many different ways! Scrambled, hard boiled, over easy, over medium, over hard, baked, poached… the list goes on and on. If you follow weight watchers, one egg is 2 points so I personally prefer to take one egg and mix with 1/2 cup egg whites to make a 3pt wonder of scrambled eggs. Delicious.
- Quest Bars– I had a rocky start with quest bars. The first flavor I tried was cookies and cream and it was alright, but not anything to write home about. The second I had was white chocolate raspberry and it was gross. So gross. Now I powered on and fell in love with smores and double chocolate chunk. I’ve also discovered a warmed up quest bar is damn near heaven sent. I recently ordered a variety box of quest bars off amazon that had 18 different flavors. I haven’t tried them all yet, but some new favorites include banana nut muffin and blueberry muffin.
- Poultry– I don’t do red meat very often. Not because I don’t like it, but because poultry like chicken and turkey is a leaner meat with less fat and therefore healthier and easier for our bodies to digest. To make things easy on myself, I’ll cook a bulk amount of chicken on the weekend to help get me through the week. It can be used in lunches or dinners. I’ll use different toppings like bbq sauce, teriyaki sauce or other spices to give it variety.
- Halo Top– I am such an ice cream addict. I’ve also become quite the chocaholic. combine the two and I’m weak in the knees. Thank goodness for Halo Top. Halo Top is a brand of ice cream that is becoming ever more popular which is a great thing, because that means it’s going to be available in more places. When I lived in Delaware it was NOWHERE. Now I can get it at the commissary or Publix in Florida. And word on the street is it’s available at costco now too. I love the chocolate and the mocha chip, and the lemon cake, and the strawberry, and the mint chip…actually there isn’t a flavor I’ve met that I didn’t like. Halo Top is love.
- Bananas and apples– I eat a banana every morning if I have one. And then I’ll have an apple or applesauce for a snack in between breakfast and lunch. They say you need to be careful with fruit because of the natural sugars, but this routine keeps me full, it’s tasty, and I tend to continue to lose weight steadily.
So these are the food staples that work for me. What are some of your go-tos to keep you on track? If you don’t have any, feel free to test out some of mine!
Update on my current weightloss:
Week 4: I gained .6 lbs. Thanks Obama.
Week 5: I lost 2 lbs, bringing the total since Jan.3 to 9.8 lbs lost, and from my heaviest weight ever 46.6 lbs. Woohoo for getting back on track!
Don’t forget to subscribe to http://www.listfiveblog.com on the right if you’re using a desktop computer or below if you’re on a mobile device. Thanks!!