27 years in Delaware.
4.5 months in Florida.
11 months in Texas.
The time has come to bid Texas adieu and move on. As it turns out, moving on, actually means moving back… to Florida.
Moving is, quite frankly, the pits. As much as I love new experiences, there are just some significant downsides that stress me out.
- Security deposits– there’s a window in between leaving one place and entering another where we’re paying double the bills and then waiting to get money back.
- Purging unnecessary items– I love downsizing, but trying to coordinate with potential buyers is not my idea of a good time.
- Packing– trying to strategically box items so they’re organized and also not going to be destroyed in the move.
- Unpacking– is there even a point to unpacking anymore?
- Job hunting– this should be number 1, and then magnified x a billion. Job hunting is horrendous. And doing it over and over and over again makes me want to assume the fetal position and stress eat and explode all at the same time.
Fortunately I have become quite the experienced packer, mover, and shaker. Shall I share some of my awesome tips with you?
- Small moving boxes fit perfectly in the ikea or better homes and gardens cube bookshelves. This helps save space in the moving truck, a safe place for items that are more fragile, and gives extra stability to these bookshelves so they aren’t completely wobbly and worthless when you unload!
- Trash bags suction in your hanging closet clothes so they don’t fall off the hangers in the closet boxes and you can fit more in each box! Shoes can be packed in the bottom of the closet boxes to save even more space!- I haven’t packed these items yet, but I will get a photo for reference and add it once I do.
- Color coordinate your labels with a room. Example: All blue stickers are for kitchen. All green stickers are for office. All yellow stickers are for living room. Then when you get to your destination you can sticker the appropriate room, and everyone will know all these blue stickered boxes go in the kitchen, all these green stickered boxes go in this room, all these yellow stickered boxes go in the living room, and etc….. Makes for easier unpacking.
- Books are super heavy and can be moved in suitcases with wheels so you don’t break your back and again, save on space!
- These sterilite 30 gallon totes are the perfect size for moving. They aren’t too big to not fit through doorways, yet they’re big enough to fit more than one or two items at a time. They stack very nicely and the bottoms don’t slope so far in that it’s obnoxiously smaller than the top. Win. Win. Win.
As I continue to prep for our move in a couple weeks, take my last bit of advice as well: there’s always time to take a break for a very big and very strong margarita to get you through. Cheers!
Don’t forget to subscribe to http://www.listfiveblog.com on the right if you’re using a desktop computer or below if you’re on a mobile device. Thanks!!